The International Society of Neurogastronomy (ISN) is a professional organization for culinary professionals, agriculture professionals, health care professionals, and scientists of gastronomy in the context of brain and behavior. The concept of Neurogastronomy casts a wide net over all disciplines that are relevant to what we eat, why we like what we eat, and how we eat. The mission of ISN is to advance Neurogastronomy as a craft, science, and health profession, to enhance quality of human life, and to generate and disseminate knowledge of brain-behavior relationships in the context of gastronomy.
Flavor is a major unifying theme for ISN - what it is and how to use it to promote health. Flavor is a natural intersection where taste and smell science overlaps with clinical problems related to food and nutrition, with agriculture, and with chefs and the food preparation industry. ISN reaches out to the public to promote a broad understanding of how taste and smell affect food choices and consumption. ISN also works to develop and promote evidence-based strategies for all areas of health related to flavor. Examples include the impaired flavor perception of chemotherapy patients and appetite control and healthy eating in the face of an epidemic of overconsumption. The founders of ISN invite you to come and join in!
Free registration for trainees and members of underrepresented groups
Before registering for the ISN Symposium, if you are a trainee (student, postdoctoral scholar, clinical fellow, or apprentice) or a member of an underrepresented group you may apply for free registration. Submit a resume or curriculum vita and a brief (<1 page) cover letter to email@example.com. The letter should explain your eligibility for a free registration award and provide your address, email, and phone number. Awards, which consist of a code used at the time of registration, will be made to all eligible persons until the available funds have been used.
All other registrations will be 50 USD. Please use the AChemS 2021 Registration Form to signup for this event.
ISN Symposium 2021 Confirmed Speakers
- Gordon Shepherd, M.D., D.Phil., Yale University. Neurogastronomy, the Brain's
World of Flavor
- Jehangir Mehta, Chef. Owner of Graffiti Earth (New York) and Next Iron Chef finalist.
Practical Applications of Flavor
- Harry Klee, Ph.D., University of Florida. Tastier Tomatoes
- Alexandra DiFeliceantonio, Ph.D., Virginia Tech. Food and Reward in the Brain
- Sid Kapoor, M.D., University of Kentucky. Diets, Migraines, and Bogus Science
- Adam Drewnowski, Ph.D., University of Washington. Flavor, Nutrition, and Obesity
- Ana Sangabriel, Ph.D., Ajinomoto Co., Inc. The Umami Flavor
Other Invited Speakers:
- Stephen Jones, Ph.D., Washington State. University. Breeding Flavor back into Wheat
- Richard King, M.D., University of Kentucky. Diets for Dementia Patients
- Nanna Meyer, Ph.D., University of Colorado, Colorado Springs.
Nutrition, Flavor, and Performance
Supported by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders